Saturday, February 14, 2009

If I.

· If I have self doubt, maybe it’s because I’m healthy. There is such a thing as a healthy sense of self doubt. Maybe I’m not like these cold inhuman people who know no insecurity, and don’t know the difference between self-confidence and inhuman, uncompromising arrogance.
· If I’m disappointed in people, maybe it’s because I have reason to be.
· If I’m grumpy sometimes … I’m a man. Get over it.
· If I don’t trust you, maybe it’s because my trust has been violated too many times, too many people who I’ve called my friends have gone behind my back, and people don’t keep their word.
· If I expect too much of people, maybe it’s because my standards are high. But I don’t expect anything of anyone that I don’t expect of myself.
· If I seem to lack direction, maybe it’s because you haven’t taken the time to get to know me, and you don’t know that what I want to do with my life is a process. As I writer, most of what I accomplish you don’t see because it’s behind the scenes. Maybe you’re too immature to realize that you don’t become everything you want to be overnight. Besides that, what have you done with your life lately?
· If I’m insecure about some things, maybe it’s because there’s something in my past that led to those insecurities. If you’re not trying to get to know me, don’t judge my insecurities. I’m working on them, and people like you don’t help the matter.
· If I have dreams, don’t make fun of them, or criticize me for either not having achieved them or holding onto them. Especially if you don’t have any of your own.
· If I hold grudges, maybe it’s because the same thing has happened to me repeatedly, maybe by the same people, and I refuse to apologize for something for which I am not to blame. Maybe I’ve apologized too many times when I shouldn’t have.
· If I take things too personally, maybe it’s because I’m more than ready to believe what people say about me. Especially people I care about. Also, how is it not personal when someone criticizes your views, beliefs, activities, desires, character, etc. without purpose or reason? That’s personal. The end.
· If I seem opinionated, that’s because I am. When did that start being a bad thing? At least I have opinions. At least I’m not apathetic like half the people of the world.
· If I seem bitter, I’m not. This is just me clearing my head, and my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Lo, though I am sitting a paltry four feet from you, I feel led to comment electronically.

    I like this list. Straightforward honesty is something I find to be lacking in many people these days. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete

Followers