Monday, August 17, 2009

Two-word Prayers

I don't know about you, the one or two of you who read this blog, but I've never been a fan of long, drawn-out prayers, spending hours and hours immersed in a spiritual haze trying to break through to some mystical plane where God's presence can be felt. (A thought enters my mind: Jerry Falwell spent hours and hours in prayer, and look at his life. Perhaps we all should spend more time in prayer) I spend a goodly amount of time during my day talking to God, because I've always believed that prayer isn't something that happens at a designated time and place. I believe prayer should be a conversation, one that never really ends, but merely one we step away from for a bit.

It is with this in mind that I write this post. I was taught in my english classes at Liberty University that brevity is often much more powerful than eloquent speeches and wordy rants. And really, sometimes when I pray my own penchant for words fails me, and I can only think of one or two to utter to the One who has so completely saved me. I've been thinking about writing this for awhile, and I hope this encourages someone out there in this infinite void through which we all interact.

Without further ado, five two-words prayers that have helped get me through time and time again.

1. Thank You - The other day, my mother went to the mall, and when she got home she handed me a brand new shirt, randomly. I love it. It's exactly the kind of thing I would pick out for myself, and she just saw it and bought it for me out of the loving-kindness of her heart. I thanked her several times. But later, after I had gone out and come home after everyone was in bed, I went downstairs and saw the shirt again. I looked at it, and this small item reminded me once again of how extraordinarily blessed I am. And all I could say into the darkness of my basement apartment, was thank you. I don't know how many times I said it, but it was more than three. I don't think God requires some grand display of our gratitude. And those two words were some of the most genuine words that I had uttered that day, stemming from genuine thankfulness for everything He has given me.

2. Help Me - This is a big one. It has many applications. When I can feel myself getting angry or frustrated. When I don't really have time to say anything more in the way of prayer before I have to deal with a tricky situation or say something to someone I may not want to say. Or for courage when I get up to speak in front of people at church. I find I use this very often. Sometimes there just isn't time to pray anything else, and I believe God hears when we call for Him, and His strength has helped me through more times than I can count.

3. Forgive Me - This is pretty self-explanatory, but no less important. The older I get, the more I realize - and the more I'm willing to admit - what a major screw-up I am. In the past it's been hard for me to admit my mistakes, especially to myself. But God sees right through me, and that's actually more of a comfort than anything else. We're all guilty of trying to put on a good exterior, but when I catch myself falling back into something that I've repented of - my mouth, my mind, the way I sometimes treat others - I have to go to Him again, and start over. These two words are a fresh start every single time.

4. Lead Me - I've used this I don't know how many times, especially at this point in my life. As much as I believe in the will of man, I also believe in the leading of God. I don't so much get daily inclinations of God leading me as I get one big one once in awhile. I think the rest of the time, God is more interested in who we are than what we do. I think He shows us just enough of the path ahead for us not to completely face-plant, and enough for us to learn. A step at a time. Recently, I haven't really known what the next step is for me. And these two words are my way of asking him to show me. I want to be able to look back at the end of my life and know that I haven't wasted it.

5. Change Me - This should be number one. Not a day goes by when I don't pray this over and over. I know myself better than anyone, except God. I know what a jerk I can be. Whereas salvation is a one-time deal (thank the Lord), redemption is a daily process. There are things that need weeded out of my life, out of my heart and mind, and I believe God honors our desire when we honestly want him to change us into the men He wants us to be. I find when I DON'T pray this, I can see myself slipping away into selfish-mode. We are all in the process, to a greater or lesser degree, of becoming. What we are becoming is up to us. I'd like God's help in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers